Have you ever experienced the horrible symptoms that go with Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis)? Has it cost you time off work, or kept your kids out of school? There are numerous things you can do to relieve the symptoms that accompany Conjunctivitis, so the question we will look at for this article is how to treat Pink Eye.
How to Treat Pink Eye: The 3 Types
Conjunctivitis (Pink Eye) is the infection of the conjunctiva (mucus membrane covering of the eyeball and inner eyelid.) It causes:
- Redness (of the eyeball and surrounding area)
- Swelling (puffy eyelids)
- Itching (and thus scratching)
- Eye Pain
- Excessive Tearing
- Blurred Vision
- Gritty Feeling in Your Eye
- Crusting Over During Sleep
In looking for the answer of how to treat Pink Eye you have to first determine which of the 3 types you have. There are three basic types of Conjunctivitis and which one you have will determine your course for how to treat Pink Eye. As each one is caused by a different thing, the remedy for each will be a different thing.
- Viral Conjunctivitis
- Bacterial Conjunctivitis
- Allergic Conjunctivitis
How to Treat Pink Eye: Each Type
- Caused by viruses (usually adenovirus)
- Most common cause of Conjunctivitis
- Highly contagious
- Lasts 5-7 days
- Can last up to 3 weeks, and even become chronic
- Caused by bacteria
- Highly contagious
- Takes between 3-7 days to resolve
- Can last longer untreated
- Caused by allergens (the thing you’re allergic to)
- Not contagious
- Lasts until you fix the allergy
- Can be chronic if untreated
How to Treat Pink Eye: Treatment
You’ve heard the saying, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Well in the case of how to treat Pink Eye, it’s very true. Your best hope for fighting Conjunctivitis comes in the idea of never actually getting it. Below are a few steps you can take to do just that.
- A good hygiene regimen will go a long way toward preventing all infections
- Change your pillowcases often
- Don’t share makeup, particularly eye cosmetics
- Don’t share towels or wash cloths
- Clean and use your contact lens properly
- Don’t put your hands near your face
- Most Importantly! Wash your hands often
By following these simple prevention tips, you put the power to not get Pink Eye in your hands.
What about if you actually get Pink Eye? As the “cure” for each type is different, but the symptoms aren’t, here’s a list of symptom relief efforts that you can use, regardless of the type of Conjunctivitis you have.
- Clean your eyes with a warm cloth in the mornings. (be sure to use two separate cloths so as not to spread more infection)
- Don’t put your contact lenses in during your illness
- Over Counter Medicine Pink Eye (OTC) drops can help ease pain and itching
- There are various herbal and OTC washes and drops that you can use
- Ice and/or warm compresses (again separate or clean for each eye)
- Make sure you talk with your doctor before you start any new medical treatment.
- Viral Conjunctivitis – There is no cure for this type of Pink Eye, it has to resolve on its own. Prevention or symptom treatment is your only hope here.
- Allergenic Conjunctivitis – As this type of Pink Eye is caused by being allergic to another substance, the cure lies in treating the thing your allergic to. For example, you are allergic to your new laundry soap. When you slept on your pillowcase washed with the new substance, you got Conjunctivitis. To be rid of the Pink Eye, you will have to get rid of the offending laundry soap.
- Bacterial Conjunctivitis – This type of Pink Eye is the only one that responds to any sort of medical treatment (Drugs for Pink Eye.) Antibiotics for Pink Eye Drops have shown good results when used as prescribed. The usual remedy time for Bacterial Conjunctivitis is between 3-7 days. When the antibiotics are used, this time is reduced to about 24 hours to see symptom relief.
*Let me warn you beforehand, the following video has a very high recording level, and the volume is very loud. But as it its very informative, turn your volume level down before you start, and watch it anyway.
How to Treat Pink Eye
In asking how to treat Pink Eye, prevention is the answer. But that doesn’t always work, so what happens when you do get it? First you have to find out what type you have (you will need to visit the doctor to know for sure) Then pick the right treatment for you. Make sure you never try any new remedy without being familiar with it, or consulting your doctor.
“Charlene, where have you been?”
“Ohh Girl, I was at the doctor trying to fix this eye.”
“What’s wrong with your eye?”
“Well, first I tried to cure this here Pink Eye with a steak.”
“No that’s for a black eye Cherlene. You crazy girl.”
”I know, but that’s what I thought you did for how to treat Pink Eye. And apparently, you ain’t supposed to cook and season it before you put it on your eye neither.”
Which type of Conjunctivitis is “curable”?
True or False: To find out what type of Pink Eye you have, you’ll need to see a doctor.
Which is not a topic on the Embarrassing Products website?
c. Pink Eye
Answers at the bottom of the page!
(Answer to #3 available here.)
Tired of waiting for that pesky little condition known as Pink eye to go away? For many people, this is not just “pesky” it’s downright menacing. There are several types of Pink Eye; some are borderline chronic, and Neil Eros has come up with an answer for all of them. Imagine you:
With How To Cure Pink Eye Fast you can have that relief in as little as 72 hours. What Eros has put together is a comprehensive attack on Pink Eye of all types, starting with symptom relief in just a few hours.
You can’t go wrong with things like:
- Rapid Symptom Relief
- Treatment for All 5 Types of Pink Eye
- Dietary Tips for Boosting Your Immune System
- A 60 Day Money Back Guarantee
Included with your Informative and Useful 39 page eBook, How To Cure Pink Eye Fast, are three bonus gifts that compliment your Pink Eye treatment book:
- Fifty Two Sunday Dinners (recipe book)
- Boost Your Self Esteem
- Positive Thinking-The Key To Success
I recommend Eros’ book to anyone who has suffered from the irritation known as Pink Eye. Within minutes you could be learning about the cure that can start working its magic on your suffering within hours.
Answers: 1) a, 2) a, 3) ?