“Cherlene, why is your nose so red?”
“Ohhh Girl, I’ve had a runny nose since a week ago last Sunday.”
“Why don’t you get’cha some of that nasal spray?”
“I may need to Girl, my nose been runnin’ like chocolate at Willy Wonka’s”
Has your nose been running for days now? Does it wake you up running at night? Is there a massive pile of crusty, used Kleenex and toilet paper lying around your feet in the living room? If so then you might need to read on and find out what to do about that runny nose.
What Causes a Runny Nose?
Nasal Congestion is the primary suspect when it comes to your snotty, runny nose. It’s the blockage of the nasal passages due to swelling of the membranes. It’s ironic that congestion will lead to “running”, but the persistent slow leaking of the congested material is the result. The causes of nasal congestion are:
- Cold and Influenza
- Deviated Septum
- Nasal Polyps
You can often tell the cause of the illness by the color of the mucus (snot). This in turn may help you or your doctor determine the treatment.
- Clear – Cold or Influenza
- Green or Yellow – infection (possibly bacterial)
- White or Cloudy – viral
Along with your runny nose you may also notice other symptoms common to the condition of nasal congestion. These can occur separately or in combination.
- Excessive snoring (sleep apnea)
- Pressure in your face and head
- Pain in your face and head
The location of these symptoms is directly related to the sinus cavities which lie basically under eyes and behind the nose. You may occasionally see someone trying to relieve their “pressure” by rubbing their forehead and under their eyes; it’s no coincidence they are pressing there.
What Can You Do About a Runny Nose?
There are several things you can do for your runny nose, with a wide range of options and degrees of seriousness. The best one for you is going to be a trial and error thing, until it gets to the point where you need medical help. Let’s start with “home” remedies.
1. Home Remedies for Runny Nose
- Use a humidifier (this adds moisture to the air)
- Hot Steam (turn on the water in the tub, close the door and breathe in the steam)
- Hot steam (carefully lean over steaming hot water in a pan)
- Drinking lots of fluids (thins the mucus)
- Warm Compresses
- Sleep sitting up
- Sinus Wash (Neti Pot, syringe, nasal irrigator)
- Eucalyptus Oil in the tub
- Peppermint Tea
Try these remedies you can use at the house before you head to the drug store for Over the Counter (OTC) medicine. You might find your runny nose going away in a timely manner without “outside” help.
- Designed to inhibit histamines (chemicals that promotes inflammation)
- Inhibit inflammation
- Constrict the blood vessels in the nose
- Quickly opens nasal passages
- Shouldn’t be used for more than 3 days
- Can cause a “rebound effect” where it actually causes inflammation
- Also used to reduce inflammation (see the pattern, inflammation is the enemy)
- Deters histamine production
- Can’t use for long periods of time
Many of these are nasal sprays and can be purchased over the counter. Just be sure and take as directed, and if you notice any changes for the worse, contact your physician.
3. Sinus Surgery
There are basically 3 different types of Sinus Surgery you can undergo:
- Technically not a surgery, but is invasive so I include it
- Balloon is inserted through the nose and inflated
- Opens the Sinus and Nasal cavity
Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (FESS)
- A probe with instruments and cameras is inserted through the nose
- It cleans up blockages and removes small debris if necessary
- Less invasive
- Less costly
- Less pre and post-surgical complications
Caldwell-Luc (Traditional) Sinus Surgery
- Not used as much now that Endoscopic is prevalent
- Used in more complicated procedures
- Go in through the upper palate
- Can remove larger obstructions (bone, debris, tumors)
If you are having Sinus Surgery, It’s likely that a runny nose is the least of your symptoms, but the surgery offers much needed relief just the same.
What can I do About this Runny Nose?
From runny nose to sinus tumor, you now have a variety of treatment options to choose from, to get better control of your nasal congestion symptoms. Try the home remedies and OTC medications first, but if you need to, call your doctor. Together you can get your sinus troubles under control and lick that runny nose; ewwww!
Which is NOT a home remedy for a runny nose?
b. Sleep Lying Flat
c. Warm Compress
d. Breathing in Steam
True or False: Balloon Sinuplasty is something a clown does.
Which one is a type of nasal congestion medication?
b. Beta Blockers
d. Placebo Nadica
Answers at the bottom of the page!
Do you need relief? Are you tired of a runny nose, or a stuffy head? If so, then you need what Dr. Christina Starkman has put together. A practicing MD for years, Starkman has seen and treated hundreds of patients with varying degrees of nasal congestion, and in her breakthrough eBook, Home Remedies for Sinus Infection that Work she has accomplished her purpose of “healing” the sick.
What’s in the Book?
In this comprehensive approach to treating Nasal Congestion, there will be discussions on:
In depth coverage of each topic is what gives you, the patient, an advantage you can’t get with conventional treatment. Starkman addresses each issue with complete candor and revelation.
What Can this eBook do for You?
You are looking for a product to:
• Stop Head and Facial Pain
• Relieve the Constant Irritation of the Runny Nose or Stuffy Head
• Help You Regain Control of your Life
• Get a Better Nights Rest
In Home Remedies for Sinus Infection that Work you can get the answers to these and many other issues. Starkman has put together a complete system to help relieve your Nasal Congestion.
If you’re worried about being scammed, or that this is too good to be true, then read about this product and see for yourself. There are no Bogus, Bonus Books; Starkman is confident her product will be valuable enough, as is. There is a 100% Money Back Guarantee that is good for 56 days.
So, if you need congestion relief, check out Home Remedies for Sinus Infection that Work.
If you’ve ever had a stuffy or runny nose that made you miserable, I have a product you need to check out. The Ayr Saline Nasal Rinse Kit is an all-natural sinus irrigation system. Regardless of whether your nose is stopped up or running like a river, this product will give you fast relief from your Nasal Congestion.
How does it Work?
With the Ayr Saline Nasal Rinse Kit you can flush out your sinus cavities and experience relief from the:
• Pressure in your face and head
• Pain in your face and head
• Moisten your dry nasal passages
If you’ve ever dealt with Nasal Congestion then you know how valuable, relief from these symptoms can be. What wouldn’t you pay for relief? With this product you’re going to find out that you won’t have to “pay through the nose;” I know, I couldn’t resist. But seriously, you will be recommending this product to others once you see how:
• Cost effective it is
• Effectively it relieves your symptoms
• Easy to use it is
• Pain free it is to use
What does it Actually Do?
The Ayr Saline Nasal Rinse Kit is a simple point and shoot procedure that comes with complete instructions. It helps relieve sinus symptoms by flushing out the various contaminants that can get lodged in your sinuses.
• Other Waste Products
So if you suffer from Sinus and Nasal Congestion, the fact that you need to use this product should be as clean as the nose on your face! Hah, I did it again, I kill me.
Answers: 1) b, 2) a, 3) a